December 2, 2023

Snazzy Jazzy Christmas Jazz You've Never Heard!

I'm actually a fan (or sucker, lol) of "you've never heard" and similar wordings in comp titles. Sure, the intention is to goad you in, but I've found in the majority of my cases, just a couple of rare gems still earns that title. And so, here we are with 18 smooth, upbeat, jazzy tracks you've never heard... or may have heard...

All tracks are instrumental sans "Last Christmas" by Till Brönner, but only briefly. Of all the cover versions of Wham's big hit, this is one of the better ones. It toys on a bossa-nova rhythm, and it works.

The comp begins with Fourplay's "Angels We Have Heard on High" and probably the best jazz-funkiest rendition I've ever heard (give it a week, lol). Another big highlight is Dirk K's "Have Yourself a Merry Christmas." Who is Dirk K? I have no idea. I know a lot of bloggers fill you in with lots of info, but as usual, I'm pressed for time. I'm sure a simple search should do the trick. Meanwhile, check out those monster guitar licks. I'm pretty sure you'll be hearing more of his work in later editions.

Don't forget to get wow'd by Marco Marzola's "O Christmas Tree." Listen to those drum breaks. Oscar Peterson's "Christmas Waltz" slows things down for a bit, but his piano runs makes up for it and then some. And please note the third track (Don Patterson's "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer") is a needle drop, and not that clean either. Well, it's passable but thought to let you know. I couldn't resist not adding it to the mix. Anyway, enjoy this set. And as usual, they're all good. Enjoy!



SnazzyJazzy@320

2 comments: