January 16, 2024

Everything Under the Sun Is in Tune: A Conspectus of HPPR! 69-77

HPPR = Hard, Progressive, & Psychedelic Rock. I wanted to expand the psychedelic rock a wee bit more from the previous mixes by mixing in some progressive and hard rock. And of course, the usual deeper and obscure gems rule the mix. And, to repeat myself over and over, I only include the tunes I really like or love, aka melody-licious! No mediocrity!

My favs? Jacky Chalard's "L'agonie" - a 3 minute instrumental tune that could have been stretched to 30 minutes. I melt in that groove. Please note: You'll also find the tune credited to Gilbert Deflez. The tunes are almost exact except the latter clocks in a minute less, hence the credit to the composer (Jacky) from the source.

Finland's progressive rock group Haikara and their '73 "Change" leans more to hard rock. Yep, fits the mix's intention. Brainbox's awesome "Dark Rose" reminds me of Cargo's "Finding Out" (included in the "Drive Baby Drive" series). Hmm, both bands from the Netherlands but as far as I know, no other association between the two. btw, Jan Akkerman (Focus) also played guitar for Brainbox.

One of my favorite tracks is also the shortest - Emmanuel Brun's instrumental "La voix psychédélique." I really wish it was longer, a LOT longer.

For the curious, I included Victor Brady's "Soul Fungi" and yes, that's a steel drum you're hearing. And, I also included Bolder Damn's "Dead Meat." It's a 16-minute romp-fest. Can you handle it? 

16 tracks and all so good. Crank it up and enjoy!



Conspectus@320

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You're welcome wkc! I know I need to revise/fix several of the older mixes, but I also need to do a few new ones as well. I assure you, I will eventually get at them. I still can't give a timeframe, but hopefully sooner than later.

      Delete
  2. Muchas gracias, apreciado amigo. Excelente colección.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Juan! It's good to know another fan :)

      Delete
  3. I've been gone and come back to this? Outdone yourself, you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pol! I appreciate the compliment.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete