February 26, 2024

Drive Baby Drive, Vol. 10: Get Your Motorik Runnin'!

Mooz mentioned/commented in one of his mixtapes posts how we individually fathom as the best compilers (perhaps not worded correctly (paraphrased) but that's the gist). I certainly have... and sure, even today (lol). The point - when I continue a series, the next volume (imo) is a bit better than its predecessor. Example - this mix. It's onerous thinkin' back to the mentality from the earlier mix, and the obligatory thoughts of "Ooo yeah, this is the smoker fer sure. I can't top this one..." And here we are, and this one not only smokes but better yet!

14 grooves, and a few singing lines here and there (not much). I suppose my favorite is the last track, Verstärker's "Jenseits des Jenseits." According to translator, Verstärker is German for Amplifier. The band is from the US. It's a great track, and shortly after the 5 minute mark, it's fast and doesn't let up until the end. Fujiya & Miyagi's "Knickerbocker" is another big fav. And so is Suralin's "Bohemian Bourgeoisie." I chose The Shadow Sea's extended version of "The Remnant" because I thoroughly enjoy good repetitive grooves. "Infinite Beatle Crisis" by Anazgnos is another fav. I have no idea behind the title. It's an instrumental, and a good one too. Anyway, they're all good. Enjoy!



DBD#10@320

7 comments:

  1. Hey! Thanks for the name drop, especially on a fantastic post like this. Starting it off with Fujiya & Miyagi and it only gets better from there. Thank you for sharing and for introducing me to many new artists. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome Mooz! I hope the name drop brings more traffic your way. As for Fujiya & Miyagi, I had no idea of their popularity (according to last.fm). I have about five of their tunes that fit in well with motorik. Thanks again Mooz!

      Delete
  2. Since you are a fan of both motorik and desert rock, would you say the QOTSA song "Regular John" has a motorik beat? I wish I could remember where I read the interview, but Josh Homme once said that if you play a repetitive beat like that for awhile, eventually it goes wiggly (or something to that effect)!

    Another motorik track you might like is "I Want My Minutes Back" by Snapped Ankles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't listened to QOTSA in a long time, but thanks for the reminder. "Regular John" is a great tune. Sure, I'd label it desert rock, motorik, but I do think the band's stans prefer the stoner rock label (it don't matter to me either way). What Josh said is similar to what I've posted in other posts. I copied it somewhere off the interweb that explained it best (imo) --- The motorik beat is a distinctive rhythmic pattern characterized by a steady, propulsive pulse and a strict adherence to a consistent tempo.

      I actually listened to some Snapped Ankles while creating this mix. One tune was somewhat close ("Tailpipe"), but it just didn't quite sound right with the others. "Jonny Guitar Calling Gosta Berlin" was another on the list. My favorite by the band is "Three Steps to a Development" - it has that Talking Heads kinda vibe to it. I'll keep them in mind if I do another. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I saw QOTSA this past year and enjoyed the show, even though the new album isn't a favorite.

      Rewatched the Godard film Weekend and realized it's where the phrase "Jonny Guitar Calling Gosta Berlin" came from!

      Delete
  3. Volume 10! Great stuff. Excellent series, many thanks George.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome zipper! I hope to do more volumes.

      Delete