September 11, 2024

Doo-Wop Ballads 3: Moments Like This [1954-64]

Lots of rare doo-wop this time around. The Hide-A-Ways, The Originals, The Charmers, Arthur Lee Maye, The Baltineers, Gene and Wendell, The Bel-Larks, The Relations (aka The Kac-Ties) and many more. Also a bonus track - I've included two versions of the unreleased '62 track "I Feel So Blue" aka "So Blue" by The Italics. The one version has the usual reverb in the vocals, and the other dry as a bone, as if the mic (vocals) was recorded directly into the mixing desk. It's possible that one or the either is fan made, or a label did a scrub remaster for the dry mix. Regardless, I kinda prefer the latter. Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Looks like another winner, George. I can't wait to sink my teeth into this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bill! You probably have most of them, but would be cool if I found some gems you were missing. I think all the tracks are needle drops and if so, in all probability, the master sources are either long gone, missing or sitting in a vault.

      Delete
    2. Well, as it turns out, George, I had them all already although I'll have to admit that I didn't think so. A handful of your selections didn't immediately ring a bell. I just had not heard the songs in quite a while. You came up with some more good ones this time. I've listened to the album 4 times now and it just keeps getting better every time! Thanks for this one and I hope that more doo-wop albums are in the cards for the future.

      Delete
    3. Thanks again Bill. And yes, there should be more doo-wop in the future. Maybe just maybe I'll find a track or three that you don't have. We'll see lol.

      Delete
    4. I have to warn you, I have lots of doo-wop! However, I don't have it all so it's possible that you'll come up with some songs that I don't have. Do keep doo-wop in mind but of course don't neglect the other music that you post. Bill

      Delete
    5. My original intent for the blog was 60s/70s jazz funk/soul jazz along with groovy library/lounge music, hence the blog name. I got bored and added more genres to the blog. I probably lost several of the regulars doing so but at least there's something for everyone. :)

      Delete
  2. I think that you made the right choice for most people. "Specializing" is great for a few people but definitely not for the majority of people. This way you may attract more visitors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct Bill, but I think the majority seek albums, complete discographies, and in flac too. I don't argue with it, but I'm still a fan of the mix-tape/compilation format, and in 320. That's good enough for me :)

      Delete