December 23, 2023

How About 20 Last Christmases!

There are a few hundred covers of Wham!'s Last Christmas, and that's the official count. I wasn't all that keen for the original tune when first released. It wasn't until I heard The Final's (first track) version when it finally clued in that it was indeed, a pretty decent tune. I now listen to several versions, and 20 to share with you all. I haven't heard every single version, so I'm sure there's gold out there. Fortunately, this collection should suffice.

A mix of genres in this collection - rock, pop, hard rock, pop-punk, dance, downtempo, etc. As mentioned previously, The Final's version is (probably) my favorite. I also love the drum-sampled dancey version by Whigfield. The Twang's take leans a little to revisionist country. Other versions by Rubber Band (a Beatles parody group), The Dollyrots, The Swingle Singers, Pullover (another fav), etc. 20 groups in all.

I'm not sure if I'll have another mix before the big day. If not, then a very merry Christmas to everyone! Take care of yourselves.



IGaveYouMyHeart@320

7 comments:

  1. Thanks and have a great Christmas. There's an excellent version of LC by the Manic Street Preachers too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome pontyboy! The MSP live acoustic version on yt is really good. And, I just looked it up and it's also the official version acc to discogs. I'll keep it in mind if I do a second set. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Nice versions of Last Christmas! Some new ones for me. Lots more to put in next year's Last Christmas, though. From Taylor Swift to the Beetles. The Ventures (surprised you didn't have this one). Monique Kessous (Bossa Nova version), Meghan Trainor. KC and the Sunshine Band, Emory, Sugarfree and Roses are Red are a few you could add to the next volume

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20 tracks is usually my max for mixes. I had to drop other good renditions, mostly hard rockers. The KC & Sunshine Band almost made it. Monique's bossa nova version is actually good but still didn't make the cut. I don't recall The Ventures version. I think I have the Roses are Red version. Good rocker. I've heard Emery's Last Christmas, but it's not the same track as Wham!

      Maybe I will do a second volume next year. :)

      Delete
    2. This one is great as it is! I was contributing to the 2024 version.... I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
    3. If I find at least 16 suitable candidates, maybe I'll do a second volume (I don't feel comfortable offering imo, subpar tracks). Out of the hundreds of versions, it shouldn't be a problem, if available.

      Delete
  3. Boris!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U8hW4Tebqg&ab_channel=Ken_MMXXII

    ReplyDelete