December 9, 2023

Santa Can Kick Yer... ...and 22 Other Delights

This is all about Santy Claus, and what good tracks they are (from '34 to '69). It begins with what's considered the first official release of "Santa Claus Is Comin' to Town" by Harry Reser & His Orchestra from '34 (either the source was carefully remastered/equalized, or original acetate in pristine condition and ripped using exceptional equipment - I was vastly impressed compared to other rips, including my own). I've also included George Hall & The Hotel Taft Orchestra's version from the same year. And while on the subject of the Haven Gillespie/J. Fred Coots classic, I've included several other versions as well, most notably Al Hirt, and The Korn Kobblers, personal big favs respectively.

22 tracks in all, and I don't think I've ever heard any of 'em played over the airwaves. My favorite is Rocki Lane & the Gross Group's "Santa Soul." What an awesome track, and not surprisingly, a 'B' side. Tennessee Ernie Ford's "A Rootin' Tootin' Santa Claus" is a good 'ol tootin' track. Ty Whitney's "Surfin' Santa Claus" is another gem, and so is Poppa John Gordy & His Dixielanders' "Santa Plays the Trombone (In the North Pole Band)." They're all good and worthy. Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment